Sunday, December 26, 2010

Will Chris Brown return to being a "champion"?

Between 2005 and 2008 Chris Brown was riding high on success with two multi-Platinum selling albums, and was being touted as "the next Michael Jackson". In 2009, however, his high profile relationship with R&B superstar Rihanna took that infamous turn, which resulted not only in the downfall of their relationship, but also seemingly Brown's career.

His 2009 effort Graffiti was abolished by critics, and (despite actually being quite a good song in my opinion, and reaching the top 20 on the Billboard 100) first single "I Can Transform Ya" did not receive an ounce of radio-play.

Since the incident, he has pledged his forgiveness in an online video, released a couple of apologetic songs see: "Crawl" (too soon), done an interview with Wendy Williams, lashed out on twitter and performed a tearful version of "Man In The Mirror" at the 2010 BET Awards. (Youtube at your own discretion)

I, like many others, I imagine, was not particularly interested in anything that Brown was doing until he released the singles "Deuces" and "Yeah 3x". Yes, they were particularly good songs, but it was not only that. It was also the fact that he stopped talking about the incident and was just releasing good music (and a very cool clip while he was at it, see below)

Chris Brown - Yeah 3x

So this week when the clip of Brown's collaboration with UK rapper Chipmunk "Champion" was released, I found myself again cringing. With lyrics which attempt to directly justify himself for everything he has been through, and a very similar formula to Eminem and Rihanna's monster-hit "Love The Way You Lie", the song is uncomfortable to say the least. While I have no doubts that the song should do well, particularly in the UK, I personally hope that on fourth studio album F.A.M.E, to be released early next year, Brown will stop singing (or rapping) about the things that put him into this mess in the beginning.

n.b. Confirmed first single to premiere on 1 January 2011 in entitled "Look at Me Now"... please be about a vision impairment.

Chipmunk & Chris Brown - Champion


**Update: Seems as though Breezy may indeed have the right formula to jump back into the spotlight..

Chris Brown
ME and @ got a BANGER/SMASH record for all the fans out there at the top of the NEW YEAR!!! 2011 
We all know Usher has been a supporter of Brown throughout recent times, but I have doubts as to whether its a good move to allow a collaboration between teen heart-throb Bieber, and an artist who is in the middle of domestic violence probation. We will have to wait and see.


No comments:

Post a Comment